1. So what's up with the media printing every word that comes out of Dick Cheney's mouth these days -- plus a photo that invariably shows him smiling like some cheery senior citizen in a liniment ad, instead of one of the "Satan's spawn" poses that they've been using for the last 8 years? Why aren't they ignoring him? I mean, they're sure ignoring Bush. Oh, wait -- that's because Bush hasn't said anything lately. About anything. To anyone. Which, I guess, hints at the truth about who was running the show during his administration.
2. A local Chrysler dealer whose franchise is being shut down calls it "the most un-American thing I've ever witnessed in my life." Actually, chum, it's the probably the most _American_ -- in the traditional sense -- thing you've ever witnessed. It's called "competition" and "survival of the fittest", and yes, it is the American way of business... or was, until the government waded in with both feet. Call these closings the last gasp of free enterprise. If the government already ran the auto industry, these dealerships would stay open, even if they never sold any cars.
3. "What did she know and when did she know it?" This is the question enquiring minds are all asking about Nancy Pelosi. Frankly, I don't think it makes much difference -- facts and logic are as foreign to this woman as icebergs are to Vietnam. I say, better to just let her continue to rant, and dither, and act out until someone puts her out of our misery.
4. "That's an order, Pope!" So after the... "lukewarm" reception Pope Benedict got in Israel, he has now been directed, by Benny Netanyahu, to "turn his moral authority against Iran". This is from a guy, and a country, and an entire race, that doesn't believe the pope _has_ any moral authority! Either that, or they think he'll get a sympathetic ear in Iran because of his "Nazi past". I mean, isn't "Islamofascism" the very same thing as Nazism? And not only that, but he's really expected to work his magic in a militantly Islamic country? Do we need any further evidence that Benny the Nat is insane? But he's still in charge of our foreign policy.
5. Back in the headlines is Norman Hsu, who is on trial for campaign finance fraud, which included generous donations to Hillary Clintons' campaign. Please note, he has not been pardoned by Obama. Maybe this is Mr. O's way of keeping Hillary on the defensive... if so, it's a wise plan.
6. A "rare display of bipartisanship" was demonstrated yesterday when House Republicans helped pass a bill to keep our troops in Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Pakistan as well, for all eternity. So it wasn't just because it was Bush's war -- they really believe in all this crap. Wouldn't it be nice if partisanship had reared its ugly head this time around? Too much to ask, I guess. But on the bright side, the "Democrats on the left" are all alone and feeling sad, realizing they've been taken for a ride again. That's some consolation, at least.
7. Never let it be said that the "science" behind "global warming" is anything but precise. Now predictions of a rise in sea level due to the impending collapse of the West Antarctic ice sheet have been halved, down to 10 feet. Maybe tomorrow they'll re-revise the estimate even lower. But we're supposed to believe them when they pronounce doomsday scenarios for 20, 30, or 40 years out.
8. The new "drug czar" (and note how that term is used -- the last czar to walk the earth was not only feckless, but wound up killed and thrown down a well) is edging away from the inflammatory term, "war on drugs", preferring to see it as a public health issue. This is only what sane people have been recommending since the glory days of Harry Anslinger. But better late than never. Said “czar” also states, “Regardless of how you try to explain to people that it's a 'war on drugs' or a 'war on a product', people see a war as a war on them.” No shit, Sherlock! The “war on drugs” _has_ been a war on people for decades now, especially the young, the powerless, and minorities – and the blatantly racist aspect of it – i.e. the “adverse impact” on blacks – has been commented on innumerable times (even if the “black leadership” prefers to ignore the issue). Could it be that the drug Puritans have finally been bound, gagged, and locked in the attic? Let's keep on hoping.
9. I love this headline (over a small item): “Economist charged with attempted robbery”. My first thought was, it looks like they're starting to round up Obama's “economic recovery team” -- but no, it was just some poor schlump on leave from – I assume, since it didn't say – the FDIC. But think about it. Before long, whenever a government employee robs a bank, it will be referred to as “an inside job”.