Friday, September 12, 2008

Don't Keep on Truckin'

“The House voted Tuesday to end a pilot program giving Mexican trucks access to U.S. highways.” Yeah, this sounds a bit petty and mean-spirited, and, after all, we do have NAFTA, which basically erases that pesky border for all intents and purposes. But I know something most people don't. I’ve been to Mexico and have encountered Mexican truckers on the road, and have heard the stories. Basically, they’re a bunch of homicidal maniacs – and that’s during daylight hours. At night, no one with a grain of sense is out on the road, because the truckers own the night. They roar over the highways at breakneck speed, and I pity the fool who’s still out there. It’s not “my way or the highway” – it’s “the highway _is_ my way”. So we’re supposed to import this charming tidbit of highway culture up here without a murmur of protest? I sincerely hope not. Of course, Congress isn’t thinking about the welfare of U.S. citizens any more than they usually do – it’s more about pressure from business and the unions. But hey, doing the right thing for the wrong reasons beats doing the wrong thing, right?

No comments: